Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Shylock's Legacy is Israel

" The Merchant of Venice", Act 4; Scene 1, " My deeds upon my head! I crave the law, the penalty and forfeit of my bond."

Those were Shylock's words as he prepared to cut" a pound of flesh" from Antonio's chest. Yesterday, the Israeli Army using tanks and bulldozers demolished a prison in Jericho in the West Bank. Guards and bystanders were killed and wounded. It was a revolting display of greed and arrogance. The Israelis wanted Ahmed Saadat and 5 other convicted assassins who were serving time for killing an Israeli Tourism Minister in 2001. Raanan Gissin, an Israeli government spokesman said, " We will put them on trial and they will have to serve their sentences in a real prison, not a mock prison and pay for the crime they have committed." Like Shylock the Israeli government protests that, " I crave the law." Never mind that in the craving, Israel kills and breaks the law and provokes more poison in the region. Shylock likewise did not care for Antonio's life in seeking " ..the penalty and forfeit of my bond".

What will follow will match Shylock's words, " my deeds upon my head." So true. Character is fate for people and countries.

No comments: